It was a few months ago that I came across a Platinum pen that grabbed my attention. Not knowing what the model was, I took to Google searches with only a picture to go on. I eventually came up with a model name. Glamour. A short, fat fountain pen that resembled the ribbed Platinum 3776. Armed with this information I set out to find one for sale.
I hit eBay first. My search terms did not yield anything but doing an advanced search told me they had been sold in the past. I set my eBay search to notify me when one was listed. Then I waited. A few weeks later, I had my very own Platinum Glamour. The glamour wore off when I examined the nib. I did not have a loupe with me but I could tell something was not right with the nib. I inked it anyway. It did work after a lot of coaxing but ink flow would stop if I let the pen sit for a few minutes. I tried priming the feed by squeezing the ink cartridge a few times. It would work for a bit then ink flow would stop again. When I was able to look at the nib under magnification, I confirmed what I feared. It looked like someone was trying to make the nib wetter and used a sharp object to pry the nib tines apart. This ended up chipping the inner right tine which hampered ink flow.
At this point it was either find another nib or try and fix this one. I did find another pen eventually. It was in much better shape too. What to do about this pen. I could just try to sell it as-is and most likely at a loss. Before this, I had been experimenting with a rotary tool to speed up nib grinds. Next thing I know, I was grinding away at a furious pace. A few minutes later, I had myself a Platinum Glamour with an italic nib. 😀